Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I'm From



A boy plunged his hands into the glass of liquid
the fear more piercing than the cold.
He grabbed the body and pulled it to his chest;
his heart pumped rapidly
as mine stood still.

I’m from a large family:
eight daughters, four sons.
This would always change my look on life
always separate me from the crowd.

I’m from a backyard swing
and a long blue slide,
a trip to a magic world,
a ride on my bike.

The boy was a rain cloud,
gloomy, but ready to burst.
The helicopter flew away
and they were left to wait.

I’m from an old beat-up wooden floor,
the echo of footfalls
and the faint smell of rosin,
like the bark of an aspen tree.

I’m from the long late night studies
and the humbling prayers,
from the adventurous camps
and the stories from the hearts’
of my accepting friends.

The doctors tried to make the baby open up her eyes
knowing this incident would affect her whole life.

I’m from a rosed-cheeked mother
and an easily persuaded dad,
a worthy neighbor,
and a loving Brother.



I had to write this poem for school, not exactly my favorite format and I even took of the last stanza because it didn't flow but was necessary for the grade.  Yeah so I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who didn't start every stanza with "I'm From" but I kinda like it. What do you think?

1 comment: